Last updated on August 1, 2015. You might also be interested in our specific RescueTime privacy features.
By using RescueTime, you are agreeing to the collection and use of your personal information as described below. We will notify all active accounts of any significant changes to this policy.
Summary (or "The Gist")
Your privacy is really important to us. If you have any concerns that aren't covered here, please contact us. Below are the highlights of this policy:
- We will never sell, rent, or share your personal information without your explicit consent, with or without personally identifying information. That includes any government (foreign or domestic) unless we are compelled by law. If we are required by law to disclose any of the information collected about you, we will attempt to provide you with notice (unless we are prohibited) that a request for your information has been made in order to give you an opportunity to object to the disclosure. We will attempt to provide this notice by email. We will independently object to overly broad requests for access to information about users of our site.
- We may share information about user behavior in the aggregate only. For example, we could share information like, "which day of the week do people spend the most time in front of their computer?"
- You can delete your data at any time — all of it, or just a slice of it. You can also delete your account at any time. Deleting your account deletes all your data from our database.
- We won't spam you, ever. We might occasionally send one-time messages about important RescueTime news. We will likely continue to introduce ways that you can optionally have RescueTime contact you with data that you care about, but you will always be able to turn this on or off.
- For individual accounts, no other user can see any of your data or personal information. In the future, we may introduce features to allow sharing of data, but this will be voluntary and opt-in only.
- For team accounts, sharing of data is controlled by the administrator of the account. No one outside of your organization will have access to any of your data.
What information does RescueTime collect?
Account information includes email address (verification optional), city, state, and country. Optional demographic information includes gender, date of birth, industry, job title, company size, and income.
RescueTime records information about the currently active application or website on your computer. We record the following information: application name, web site URL, window title, start time of use, end time of use, OS username, and computer machine name. We do not (and never will) collect keystrokes, form input, screenshots, or anything nefarious.
Cookies and Log Files
RescueTime.com sends a "cookie" to your computer that contains an identification number that is unique to the computer you are using. We use this cookie to provide you with a continuous experience, and for us to record how our site/service is being used.
As is done with most web sites, we log each visit to each web page. A log entry can contain information typically found in the "header" of your web browser's request such as the browser type you used, your Internet Protocol address, and the date and time of day. We may also log your cookie's identification number and the URL of the last site you visited. This log information is important for security, audit, quality improvement, as well as for monitoring the health of our service.